Child Readiness for Lessons
When considering enrolling your child in piano lessons, it is important to assess their mental, physical and emotional readiness for lessons. Here are a few things to consider when assessing a child's readiness for lessons:
Can he/she demonstrate the ability to:
- Recite the alphabet from the letters A - G forwards, and preferably backwards as well
- Sit still, listen carefully to instructions and concentrate for at least 10 minutes at a time?
- Count up from 1 to 10
- Generally tell the difference between the left and right hand?
- Draw the letters of the alphabet from A through to G
- Write the numbers 1 through to 10
- Press the keys down without difficulty because he/she has developed enough physical strength in the fingers
- Personally requested piano lessons
- Displayed an interest in experimenting at the piano
- Respond to music positively by dancing, singing or physically moving to it